TWEED HEADS South and Tweed Heads West residents are being ordered by the SES to evacuate their homes due to continued and further predicted heavy rain and resultant flash flooding.
This follows an evacuation order released earlier this afternoon for South Murwillumbah, Condong and Tumbulgum and a flood evacuation warning for low lying areas of Chinderah, Tweed Heads, Tweed Heads South, Kingscliff and Fingal Head.
The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) is directing residents within the nominated areas to evacuate immediately where safe transit exists and it they are able to do so.
An evacuation centre has been set up at Kingscliff TAFE, Cudgen Road Kingscliff.
They are advising those that are unable to do so, seek refuge in a safe and high place.
The SES is urging residents not to delay their evacuation. Conditions can change quickly and roads will be congested or closed. Remaining in flooded areas is dangerous and may place your life at risk.
Wherever possible, people should go and stay with family or friends, or make other accommodation arrangements.
As you evacuate you should;
- Take your important documents, mementos and photos.
- Take your spare clothing, medicines and personal hygiene supplies.
- If going to the evacuation centre take blankets/sleeping bags, pillows and sleeping mats.
- If possible, check to see if your neighbours need help.
- Turn off the electricity and gas.
- Never drive ride or walk through floodwater.
- Continue to listen to a local radio station for updates.
For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW SES on 132 500 NSW SES website: http://www.ses.nsw.gov.au