SOUTH MURWILLUMBAH, Condong and Tumbulgum residents are being directed by the SES to evacuate their properties immediately as the Tweed River continues to rise and an increasing number of roads are flooding.
South Murwillumbah streets are beginning to flood with water over the road on Alma Street near Budd Park.
The SES is advising residents to not delay their evacuation.
“Roads will be congested or closed,” said the SES.
“You could become trapped and need rescue. Remaining in flooded areas is dangerous and may place your life at risk.
“Wherever possible, people should go and stay with family or friends, or make other accommodation arrangements.”
There is an evacuation centre set up at Kings Sacred Heart (Catholic Hall) Murwillumbah Street, Murwillumbah.
As you evacuate you should;
- Take your important documents, mementos and photos.
- Take your spare clothing, medicines and personal hygiene supplies.
- If going to the evacuation centre take blankets/sleeping bags, pillows and sleeping mats.
- If possible, check to see if your neighbours need help.
- Turn off the electricity and gas.
- Never drive ride or walk through floodwater.
- Continue to listen to a local radio station for updates.
For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW SES on 132 500NSW SES website: http://www.ses.nsw.gov.au