Police busy with mad drivers and a stolen Audi


CRAZY DRIVERS and a stolen Audi have kept Tweed Police busy during the Easter period with several dangerous pursuits taking place and a phone app that helped save the day.

Police said in a media statement that one of the pursuits involved a “suspicious looking orange Holden Commodore”.

“It was about 11.49am on Monday, April 11, when police noticed an orange coloured Holden Commodore acting suspiciously in Minjumbal Drive, Tweed Heads,” the police statement reads.

“Police attempted to pull the vehicle over when it sped off along Darlington Drive, Banora Point.

“The vehicle reached speeds of 80km in a 50km zone and turned into Clonakilty St at speed causing the rear wheels to slide and coming to a stop on the incorrect side of the roadway.”

But it didn’t stop there for the passenger who made a run for it.

“One passenger ran from Police and was unable to be located,” the statement reads.

“Police spoke with the driver of the vehicle.”

They said the man, aged in his early 40s, was arrested and charged with driving whilst unlicensed and driving in a dangerous manner including police pursuit.

He has been bail refused and appeared before Tweed Heads Local Court. Police said he was also granted conditional bail and will next appear at Tweed Heads Local Court on the May 22.

Meanwhile, another motorist has used a phone app to track and locate a stolen Audi from Lennox Head on Sunday, April.

Police said it was about 2.15pm when a white Audi station-wagon was stolen from the Lookout at Lennox Head.

“The owner of the vehicle was able to track the progress of the vehicle using an app. on his mobile telephone,” police said.

“He reported this to police.  It was 4.10pm when the vehicle was sighted by police travelling North on the Pacific Motorway at Chinderah.

“Authorisation was given to deploy road spikes and these were set up on the Northern end of the Tugun tunnel.

“A pursuit was then initiated and the stolen vehicle continued to travel North. Road spikes were successfully deployed at Tugun.”

Police said the vehicle continued across the border into Qld, when Tweed Police called off the pursuit.

“Due to the deteriorating tyres the stolen vehicle was seen to come to a standstill about 200 metres into Qld and a female exited the car stood on the motorway,” police said.

“She was arrested by Tweed/Byron Local Area Command Police and detained until the arrival of Qld Police.”

Police said the 30-year-old female was from Pimpama near Brisbane and was conveyed to the Southport Watch House where she will appear before Court on April 17. Her charges were listed as being in possession of stolen goods and “inquiries in relation to NSW offences are continuing”.