RESIDENTS IN low lying areas of Chinderah, Tweed Heads, Tweed Heads South, Kingscliff and Fingal Head are being asked by the SES to prepare to evacuate prior to 7pm today.
Areas that will be affected by rising river levels and the king tide include low lying caravan parks in Chinderah, Tweed Heads South and Kingscliff and low lying properties in Fingal Head and Bilambil.
Residents should monitor the situation and be prepared to evacuate when instructed to do so.
A Flood Evacuation Order will be issued by the NSW SES if evacuation is required.
Wherever possible, people should go and stay with family or friends, or make other accommodation arrangements.
For people who need assistance an evacuation centre has been established at Kingscliff TAFE, Cudgen Road Kingscliff and Banota Point High School.
As you prepare for evacuation you should:
- Raise belongings by placing them on tables, beds and benches.
- Put electrical items on top. You may be able to place light weight items in the roof space.
- Collect together medicines, personal and financial documents, mementos and photos
- If possible, check to see if your neighbours need help.
- Make arrangements for care of pets or other animals, or take your pets with you when you evacuate.
- Take three days’ supply of clothing, medicines and personal hygiene products.
- If you are planning to go to the evacuation centre, take blankets/sleeping bags, pillows and sleeping mats.
- Find out where to turn off the electricity and gas.
- Continue to listen to a local radio station for updates.
Never drive ride or walk through floodwater.
For emergency assistance telephone the NSW SES on 132 500 Web site: http://www.ses.nsw.gov.au