Bodyboarder drowns at Fingal Head

Fingal Head example image

A 20-YEAR-OLD bodyboarder has tragically lost his life at Fingal Head today (Sunday, October 22) after struggling in the water at around 11.30am.

The man went missing but was eventually found unconscious by Surf Life Savers.

“Police have been told a man was bodyboarding, when he lost his board and attempted to climb onto the rocks,” police said to the media.

“A search for a 20-year-old man has commenced with assistance from Tweed/Byron Local Area Command and Surf Life Savers.

“Just after 1.30pm, the man was pulled from the water with NSW Ambulance paramedics commencing CPR, however the man could not be revived.

“A report will be prepared for the Coroner.”

Tweed Police later confirmed the man died as a result of drowning at around 1.30pm after informing the family.

Police said a report will be prepared for the Coroner following the death of the man.

Locals and visitors have gathered at the beach, many who remain in shock from the man’s tragic death.

It’s the third death by drowning at Fingal Head in two years.




  1. Terrible tragedy. We there this morning. I noticed no jetski or rubber ducky on the beach and made the comment to my wife if you got in trouble here no one could save you just using paddle boards there as the ocean was looking very rippy.
    We didnt know it was a rescue effort as two ambulances and two police 4×4 arrived at surfclub with lights on, then a rubby ducky was pulled out of the surfclub and in the water about 10mins later.
    Presumed it was a search for a rock fisherman missing overnight.
    So sad to hear later about this loss of life.
    I would like to know how all the emergency services got to fingal without the Surf Club being made aware of the incident and not being out there on the water sooner.
    Went to Coolangatta later this afternoon which was considerably calmer than Fingal and there were rubby duckies on both ends of the beach.
    We need to back our Lifesavers, the government needs to fund and arm them with the gear they need and a proven communication network in place.
    Perhaps a sign on top of Fingal Headland with the surfclubs phone number direct as they are the people who can save lives in the ocean. The delay in communication must have been considerable.
    Its highly possibe the outcome couldve been the same but the delay in what I witnessed makes me sad and frustrated and a feeling that change must happen to streamline rescue.

Comments are closed.